Add and Delete Categories in WordPress
Have you ever classified a post using a category before?
Category is a powerful tool to organize your content and maintain the proper structure of your site in a semantic manner. It is very useful to divide the website into the section for the website that publishes content on different topics.
In this article, we are going to learn how to add, edit and delete categories in WordPress. We’ll also cover how to change and display categories in WordPress
What is Category?
Category is a taxonomy used to organize content in WordPress. It is a hierarchical way of grouping similar content in WordPress. It also enables visitors to navigate around the website easily. In another word, category helps to determine the flow of content. You can only add categories in WordPress posts.
For example, a business website can have categories upon About us, Contact Us and Notice.
Add Categories in WordPress
It is extremely easy to add, edit and delete categories in WordPress. The first thing you need to do to add and delete categories in WordPress is log in to your WordPress admin panel. WordPress allows you to add categories in two ways.
The first way of adding categories in WordPress is from the post editing screen.
- Navigate to the post edit screen via clicking a post tab.
- Click on the document tab present on the right-hand side and go to the category meta box.
Note: In case you are using a classic editor, you can see category meta box present on the right side below the update button. However, we recommend you to use the Gutenberg editor.
- Click on the add new category link.
- Type the category name on the box.
- Then, click on the add new category button.
Another way to add, edit and delete categories in WordPress is from the category screen. This method is the easiest way to add and delete categories in WordPress. It is usually effective for adding all categories at once.
- First of all, navigate to the Posts>>Categories.
- Type the name, slug, and description in the box.
Note: The slug is the name you choose for a link to the category that appears in small letters in the URL.
- You can also choose a parent category from the drop-down option to make a child category under that parent category as you like.
- Then, click on the add new categories button to save the changes.
Display Categories in WordPress
WordPress displays categories in WordPress either in the navigation menu or the widgets by default. Category widget is the best way to display categories generally in the sidebar.
- First of all, navigate to the Appearance>>Widgets.
- Then drag and drop categories to the sidebar.
- Customize the title and check the checker box to display category as dropdown, show post counts and show hierarchy for a nested category.
- Click on the save button to save changes.
Delete Categories in WordPress
You can delete categories in WordPress from the Posts>>Categories. All you have to do is hover over the WordPress category you want to delete. Then, click on the delete. Deleting any categories will not delete the post listed on it. All of the posts listed on that category will automatically be listed on the uncategorized by default.
Change Category in WordPress
Renaming category is not that difficult as it sounds. All you have to do is create a new category or change the name of the category to a new one. Then add posts to that category.
When you change the category name, WordPress saves pages on the same category ID number. Hence, changing category or renaming category won’t result in a page not found problems as WordPress redirects the visitors to right posts automatically.
Thus, you can add, edit, change and delete categories in WordPress by following the above-described method. Hopefully, you find this article helpful.
In another tutorial, I’ll be covering complete guide on how to add tags in WordPress.
If you any queries or need WordPress expert help then come join our Facebook Group.