Do you want to enable excerpt in WordPress post and page?
Excerpt is a way to clarify what a blog is about. It is a short summary of the post. Most beginners don’t know how to use excerpt to its full extent. It is a great way to increase post views when used properly.
In this guide, we are going to cover how to enable excerpt in WordPress post and page.
What is Excerpt?
Excerpt is an optional text that is added to WordPress post and pages. It is a snippet of text that explains what the article is about. WordPress comes with post and pages at default. Sometimes you just want to show a few lines of text instead of the full content. Excerpt is mostly used in archive pages to avoid showing full content. In case the excerpt field is empty, WordPress automatically assigns excerpt with the first 55 words of the blog.
Having said that, let’s jump into it:
Enable Excerpt Field in WordPress Post
First of all, login to WordPress admin area with your login credentials. After that navigate to post>>all post. Open any one post and go through the steps mentioned below.
- Click on the three-dot icon which is Show more tools and option
- A pop up will show up. Then select option as shown in the image below.
- Next right tick the box next to the excerpt field.
- You’ll see excerpt field box in the panel on the right side.
- Click on the save button.
Add Excerpt in WordPress Post
Once you have enabled excerpt field, it’s time to add excerpt in post and page. The process of adding excerpt is similar to both post and page.
- Create a new post or simply open a target post.
- Scroll down to excerpt and click on drop-down option. You can easily find an excerpt field on the right side of the post editor screen.
- Now, add excerpt text in the box.
- Finally, hit the publish button.
Enable Excerpt in Pages
WordPress doesn’t allow excerpt in pages by default. However, you can easily enable the excerpt field in pages by simply adding one line code.
add_post_type_support( 'page', 'excerpt' );
Once you have finished adding code, go to option once again and check the excerpt field as mentioned above. You can also use a WordPress excerpt plugin to enable excerpt.
That’s all! You have successfully enabled excerpt in WordPress post and page.
Feel free to ask your queries on the comment section below:
You might also like to read the following article.